Friday, February 10 I BIG RED DOOR & Other Stories Urbanity presents six works, four choreographed by director Betsi Graves, modeled as a series of short dance stories. In “Big Red Door,” doors become symbols for entrances and exits in life, snapshots in time. Graves draws inspiration from Kurt Vonnegut’s “Slaughterhouse Five,” building a post-modern take on time-travel, memories and dreams, births and deaths. In a second story, “Little Blue Dot,” Graves is inspired by GPS and Google Maps. Three soloists dive into journeys weighed with human emotion love, guilt and grief. The work questions whether looking at ourselves aerially alters our travel emotions. In an unusual collaboration, music for “Little Blue Dot” is composed by award-winning composer Mu-Xuan Lin and performed live by Lin and other musicians. A third chapter, “Green Grass Grows,” is an ensemble piece set to the music of Philip Glass. Through sweeping symmetry, Graves asks observers to explore the natural wonder of grass, the ultimate mediator between soil and sun. In a fourth tale, “Little Black Dress,” Graves turns to neoclassical movement to tell a story of feminine coming of age through cultural assimilation.
- Only 4 more performances of "BLACK!" at the Zephyr Theatre! See what the L.A. critics have been raving about. Next… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 2 days ago
- @BeyondFest @hulu @SidGrauman We love neon, and think this is awesome. 2 days ago
- @play_Serious @nytimesarts Have a great show! Happy to ticket for you. 2 days ago
- RT @WorldOfWonder: HERSTORY has been made, kitty girls! 👑 @rupaulsdragrace just snatched the Emmy for Best Reality Series and after @rupaul… 3 days ago
- Snohomish Valley Festival of Pumpkins is coming up soon. Get your Early Bird Family Passes through October 7th.… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 4 days ago