Friday, February 10 I BIG RED DOOR & Other Stories Urbanity presents six works, four choreographed by director Betsi Graves, modeled as a series of short dance stories. In “Big Red Door,” doors become symbols for entrances and exits in life, snapshots in time. Graves draws inspiration from Kurt Vonnegut’s “Slaughterhouse Five,” building a post-modern take on time-travel, memories and dreams, births and deaths. In a second story, “Little Blue Dot,” Graves is inspired by GPS and Google Maps. Three soloists dive into journeys weighed with human emotion love, guilt and grief. The work questions whether looking at ourselves aerially alters our travel emotions. In an unusual collaboration, music for “Little Blue Dot” is composed by award-winning composer Mu-Xuan Lin and performed live by Lin and other musicians. A third chapter, “Green Grass Grows,” is an ensemble piece set to the music of Philip Glass. Through sweeping symmetry, Graves asks observers to explore the natural wonder of grass, the ultimate mediator between soil and sun. In a fourth tale, “Little Black Dress,” Graves turns to neoclassical movement to tell a story of feminine coming of age through cultural assimilation.
- Calling all #LA #FullHouse fans, join #WritersInTreatment as they honor @jodiesweetin, set to receive the 10th Annu… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 1 day ago
- @bsidesseattle Hi, we'd be happy to help with your events. Give us a call 24/7 at (800) 838-3006 or email support@b… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 5 days ago
- 3/2, 3/3: Circus Spectacular. Be dazzled by pro artists from around the world while helping raise money for… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 1 week ago
- @vivalablue Your kind AF words made our day. Thank you! 1 week ago
- There's a CAKE con in #Seattle. What a time to be alive: bit.ly/2Dy6Rux @FremontFoundry #bptevents #cakecon #cake 1 week ago